Other factors that cause congestive heart failure:
- Viral infections
- Some chemotherapeutic agents for cancer
- Illicit drugs
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Genetic abnormalities in families
- Idiopathic cardiomyopathy (the cause is unknown)
- Unusual fatigue with activity
- Shortness of breath with activity
- Difficulty breathing when lying down
- Cough with exercise or lying down
- Ankle swelling
- Loss of appetite and abdominal discomfort
- Fluid weight gain
What Are the Types of Heart Failure?
Systolic dysfunction (or systolic heart failure) occurs when the heart muscle doesn’t contract with enough force, so there is less oxygen-rich blood that is pumped throughout the body.
Diastolic dysfunction (or diastolic heart failure) occurs when the heart contracts normally, but the ventricles do not relax properly or are stiff, and less blood enters the heart during normal filling.