This is performed to change or convert an irregular heart rhythm to a normal regular rhythm. Cardioversion sends a carefully timed and well-controlled electrical shock to the heart through the chest wall. The shock usually disrupts the abnormal stimulus or impulse that causes the abnormal rhythm and allows the heart’s normal rhythm to take over. At Beverly Hills Cardiology, our experienced team can help you through this process with ease.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the exam.
- Do not ingest any stimulants for 24 hours BEFORE the test. This includes coffee, tea, and cola drinks.
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothing.
- Do not wear necklaces or clothing with metal on it (metal buttons, sequins, brooches, etc.).
- If you have asthma presently or previously, bring your inhaler(s) with you.
- Bring a list of your medications with you.
- Take your usual morning medications with sips of water on the day of your test unless directed by your physician.
- Notify your physician if you take insulin or diabetic medication as these medications may need to be discontinued or decreased the morning of the procedure.
- Someone will need to drive you home following this heart procedure.
LENGTH OF TEST
The test itself will take approximately 30 minutes, however you will remain a little longer for observation.